Do everything in Java…

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 6 08:21:39 PST 2014

On Sat, Dec 06, 2014 at 03:48:42PM +0000, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-12-06 at 07:14 -0800, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >
> […]
> > Oh, I *know* there are Javascript testing frameworks out there...
> > the problem is convincing people to actually incorporate said tests
> > as part of the development process. Sure, *I* can run the tests with
> > my own code changes, but there are 50-100 developers working on the
> > project who are also constantly making changes, and unless they also
> > regularly run unittests, the whole exercise is kinda moot.
>
> If the team is 50 to 100 programmers 1 of whom thinks testing is a
> good idea then I can see an unmitigatable disaster looming and the
> technical bosses (*) being sacked. Best bet, get a new job now.
>

> (*) management and accounting bosses never get sacked, because it is
> never their fault.
[...]

Disaster *looming*? Haha... disaster has been *happening* for the past
how many years now... Hence my earlier references to regressions
spiralling out of control and new features breaking old ones like
there's no tomorrow, and developers scrambling like mad to fix them all
in a whack-a-mole bid to bash the product into shippable form by the
deadline, of which we tend to be informed the week of (or sometimes, the
Friday afternoon before a Monday deadline)...

Fortunately(?), no one has been sacked yet. Part of it may have to do
with the fact that practically all our customers are corporate, and
corporate customers tend to value business relationships and deals above
actual product quality, even when they're on the receiving end. (Just my
cynical guess, though. I have no concrete evidence of this. :-P)

Computers aren't intelligent; they only think they are.