Do everything in Java…

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 6 14:14:19 PST 2014

On Sat, Dec 06, 2014 at 06:46:58PM +0000, Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d wrote:

> The majority of corporations I have worked for, software development
> is not their main business, so they tend to disregard anything that
> doesn't contribute to their business as waste of money.

Yes, but what they *don't* realize is that by not adopting proper code
maintenance practices, they're actually incurring more waste of money by
having their tech staff tied up fixing regressions rather than making
progress.

> I imagine your employer main business is software development.

Yes. I guess that makes a big difference. :)

On Sat, Dec 06, 2014 at 01:50:24PM -0800, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 12/6/2014 7:12 AM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >However, all this level of review kinda loses a lot of its
> >effectiveness because we have no unittesting system, so regressions
> >are out of control. :-(  The code is complex enough that even with
> >all this review, things still slip through. The lack of automation
> >also means QA tests are sometimes rather skimpy and miss obvious
> >regressions. Having automated unittesting would go a long ways in
> >improving this situation.
>
> Without the dmd compiler test suite, making progress with the compiler
> would be simply impossible.

And even then, regressions still do slip through every release. I can't
imagine what it would be like if we *didn't* have a test suite... dmd
would be unusably broken.

It's bad luck to be superstitious. -- YHL