Do everything in Java…

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 8 07:18:18 PST 2014

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 08:33:16AM +0000, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> As with any of these situation the convoluted hardcoded for a specific
> processor code, especially assembly language will always win. I don't
> care about that, I care about the fastest comprehensible code that is
> portable simply by compilation or execution. Based on this, Java does
> well, so does some Groovy perhaps surprisingly, also Scala.  C++ does
> well especially with TBB (though as an API it leaves a lot to be
> desired). D is OK but only using ldc2 or gdc, dmd sucks.
[...]

Yeah, I find in my own experience that gdc -O3 tends to produce code
that's consistently ~20% faster than dmd -O, especially in
compute-intensive code. The downside is that gdc usually lags behind dmd
by one release, which, given the current rate of development in D, can
be quite a big difference in feature set available.

INTEL = Only half of "intelligence".