DIP69: problem with scope grammar - need a new keyword

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 8 15:15:25 PST 2014

Walter Bright:

> I have some ideas, but don't particularly like any of them. But
> I don't want to bias things, so what ideas do you guys have?

In this thread I have seen lot of discussion about the location
of const for struct/class methods, and I agree this is an
interesting topic, but one of the most important points of this
thread regarding DIP69 scope grammar seems too much ignored, that
is the syntax used implementing DIP69 needs to be easy to read,
understand, and remember. Overloading keywords meanings rarely
helps make code easy to understand. Often if you use a different
keyword for a different meaning your language is more easy to
understand.

Double keywords like "auto ref", "scope ref", "final switch" and
more cause some troubles, and I don't like them. I prefer
keywords like "auto_ref", "scope_ref", "final_switch", etc.

Bye,
bearophile