problem with size_t and an easy solution

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 8 19:14:06 PST 2014

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 15:52:07 +0000
bitwise via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I picked hp D ~2 months ago, and my first project was a
> reflection library, so I've had a chance to deal with most of the
> language features at least once so far. The naming and presence
> of legacy C++ was a little strange, but I would leave it at that.
> What was by FAR the most confusing/frustrating thing was the
> vague, and many times, completely wrong or misleading compiler
> error messages. If time was to be spent anywhere, I think that
> would be most helpful.
>
> I would quote a few of these error messages, but I wouldn't be
> able to reproduce them, as I have no idea why they occurred in
> the first place..
ah, the thing that now got the official commit: "stop after N errors".
just make the compiler stop after exactly one error, and most "strange"
error messages will go away.

somehow Walter can't accept that after emiting the first error compiler
is in undefined state, and trying to pretend that it is in well-defined
state or guess what well-defined state must be is a nonsense.

D compiler is fast enough to stop that horrible "now you have
100500 errors reported, enjoy" practice.

the second thing that i want to have is compiler explaining why it
rejected some templates. i.e. what constrains failed. those messages
about "can't instantiate" are among the most noisy and cryptic ones.