Do everything in Java…

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 9 02:43:54 PST 2014

On Monday, 8 December 2014 at 16:04:31 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 11:22:45AM +0000, Chris via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
> [...]
>> What I gather from all the posts about code reviews and
>> testing is
>> that it's a solid mess out there, and the bigger the company
>> the
>> bigger the mess. I'm pretty much the only guy who works on the
>> code at
>> the moment and sometimes feel a bit bad about failing to
>> update this
>> or that (unit) test (simply because I lack the time). On the
>> other
>> hand the code and the programs are constantly being tested in
>> the real
>> world and are very stable.
>
> Sounds like you're actually in a pretty good state, compared
> with the
> rest of the industry out there! :-P

Well, I don't have to meet deadlines all the time and deal with
customers who've been promised by someone in the management that
you can turn straw into gold. I don't need feature X until
tomorrow (or yesterday), but can think about a proper
implementation first. Thankfully we have someone on the team who
can test the software immediately and thoroughly before we give
it out (or use it internally).

>> This might be due to the fact, that I "unit test" a lot during
>> development (code a little, test a little). It is also down to
>> the
>> fact that the D compiler often helps me and warns me
>> immediately. It's
>> not so easy to get away with dodgy code in D.
>
> Yeah, D does fix a lot of the flaws with C/C++ that allow you
> to shoot
> yourself in the foot and then erase all evidence of it. While D
> does
> have its own share of dark corners, it's generally very
> pleasant to work
> with, and does encourage good coding style.

D does have dark corners, but only if you care to go there, and
sooner or later (rather sooner than later) your house of cards
will collapse, because the dodgy code is often "found out" by the
proper code. I've always had to rewrite any dodgy, highly unsafe
code I introduced to save a nanosecond - and the dodgy code is
usually due to some interaction with C!