Do everything in Java…

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 9 07:40:10 PST 2014

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 11:09:44AM +0000, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-12-08 at 07:18 -0800, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
> > Yeah, I find in my own experience that gdc -O3 tends to produce code
> > that's consistently ~20% faster than dmd -O, especially in
> > compute-intensive code. The downside is that gdc usually lags behind
> > dmd by one release, which, given the current rate of development in
> > D, can be quite a big difference in feature set available.
>
> GDC is tied to the GCC release program I guess, so gdc can only be
> updated when there is a new GCC release.
>
> I am not up to compiling gdc from source, but compiling ldc2 is very
> straightforward, so I tend to use that by default to get something
> fast that is more or less up-to-date with DMD.
[...]

I used to compile gdc from source, but unfortunately, the gcc build
scripts are so very temperamental and sensitive... the slightest
environment variable set wrong in your system, and you're up for
unending hours of hair-pulling frustration trying to figure out what
went wrong given only an error message that almost always has nothing
whatsoever to do with the real problem, which has already happened half
an hour earlier. This is especially so if you attempt to build with a
gcc version that isn't the latest development version, which is
inevitably incompatible with my current system's gcc version, which
means I have to install it in a custom path, which is often a source of
trouble because anytime you change the default settings, you've to be
prepared for lots of things exploding in your face unless you know
exactly what you're doing (and I don't).

You have to expect the unexpected. -- RL