problem with size_t and an easy solution

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 9 18:14:50 PST 2014

On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 17:28:15 +0000
Ivan Kazmenko via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> A well-designed language allows to recover from errors with good
> probability
if compiler can recover from error, it should not report the error at
all -- 'cause it can fix the code for me.

that is absolutely nonsense, you *CAN'T* "recover" from invalid code.
that is the fact. fact: Earth is not a sphere. fact: you can't
automatically recover from invalid code.

that habit of "try to compile as much as we can" originates in the
times when running a compiler was very costly process, so it's better
to have some invalid error messages than runing the compiler again
after each error found and fixed.

hey, it's time to stop doing that! the epoch of punch cards and
teletypes are over! it's time to stop trying to "recover" from
irrecoverable states. there is *nothing* valuable in a stupid list of
compilation errors most of which are invalid and others will become
invalid after you fix the first one.

build faster compiler. cache AST's. but stop vomiting alphanumeric noise
"just because... well... we doing this from 70ths!"