D3

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 10 07:51:50 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 03:35:36PM +0000, via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 December 2014 at 13:55:22 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> >Cribbing from the dubious wisdom of Mozilla and ISO, we can catch up
> >in the version numbering race and call the next one D11.  Followed,
> >naturally, by D100. ;)
>
> Som alternatives:
>
> - Unary notation: D1, D11, D111, D1111…
>
> - Roman: DI, DII, DIII, DIV, DV, DVI, DVII…
>
> D=500, so DI would start off at version 501… Just like Levi's…

I find the obsession with small integers (aka version numbers) rather
petty. We should start with some random number, like 49183029, and every
subsequent release increment it by a random positive increment, TCP
sequence number style. So the next version could be 50372948, then the
following 59384729, then 73940121, etc..

Or perhaps the initial version should be Graham's number, and every
following version is obtained by calling the Ackermann function on the
previous version number. :-P That'll beat all competitors, for sure.

Doubt is a self-fulfilling prophecy.