DIP69 - Implement scope for escape proof references

eles via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 10 08:17:14 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 10 December 2014 at 15:15:59 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 December 2014 at 21:58:48 UTC, deadalnix wrote:

> D is already in that landscape and should try hard not to sink
> deeper into the muddy waters.

Funny thing it is that it started exactly as a reaction to those
muddy waters.

I believe this is the "Stroustrup curse":

"
Much of the relative simplicity of Java is - like for most new
languages - partly an illusion and partly a function of its
incompleteness. As time passes, Java will grow significantly in
size and complexity. It will double or triple in size and grow
implementation-dependent extensions or libraries. That is the way
every commercially successful language has developed. Just look
at any language you consider successful on a large scale. I know
of no exceptions, and there are good reasons for this phenomenon.
[I wrote this before 2000; now (2012), the language part of the
Java 7 specification is slightly longer in terms of number of
pages than the ISO C++11 language specification.]
"