Do everything in Java…

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 11 01:44:49 PST 2014

On Thursday, 11 December 2014 at 09:07:18 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 08:57:56 +0000
> Tobias Pankrath via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>

>> > except that there's no need to parse source code over and
>> > over again,
>> > which is good for other tools (like completion suggesting,
>> > intelligent
>> > code browsing and so on).
>>
>> Which usually hold an AST in memory anyway. We have a fast
>> parser, parsing even a big codebase once is really not a
>> problem, see DCD for example.
>>
>> If the only advantage is to skip a parsing stage here or
>> there, it does not justify the work that would be needed.
> as we have a fast compiler too, i can't see any sense in
> producing
> machine code files at all. the only advantage is to skip a
> parsing and
> compiling stages here or there, it does not justify the work
> that would
> be needed.

Parsing is so fast it's not worth spending huge numbers of
man-hours building an effective cacheing system for it. The rest
of compilation is comparatively much slower and is therefore more
important to cache.

You're being sarcastic to a straw-man.