Do everything in Java…

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 11 04:33:06 PST 2014

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 12:11:35 +0000
Tobias Pankrath via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> If what you have in mind is indeed impossible with current object
> files, it may
> be worthwhile to create our own. But as I see it, the only
> benefit of storing an AST is compilation speed, which currently
> is not dominated by parsing.
it is possible, but it's like today's JIT compilers: first they compile
the source to bytecode loosing alot of the info by the way, and then
they "decompiling" bytecode to restore the info they throw away on the
first step. i was laughing at java since i've seen "juice" project
(don't try to google that, you'll find nothing).

> How would your precompiled modules differ from ELF except that
> they'd contain an AST for things that didn't emit the machine
> code yet?
how did one object file format differs from another object file format?
they just targeted at different applications. i can emulate one with
another, but it's a klugdery.