DIP69 - Implement scope for escape proof references

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 11 22:04:29 PST 2014

On Thursday, 11 December 2014 at 08:30:55 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 12/10/2014 10:43 PM, Dicebot wrote:
>> On Thursday, 11 December 2014 at 03:30:07 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> If you want data to 'escape' from r.front, then it shouldn't
>>> be marked as
>>> scope. Definitely, using scope successfully will require some
>>> rethinking of
>>> how code is written.
>>
>> Allowing or prohibiting escaping of r.front in that example
>> depends on
>> definition of mapped range. There is nothing to "rethink"
>> about it - case is
>> almost identical to const+inout.
>
> One reason why with templates, they'll do scope inference.

So the answer really is "current proposal does not support it"?
Well this alone seems limiting enough for me to kills the whole
DIP. "Use templates everywhere" is not really an answer, we could
as well just prohibit separate compilation without .di files and
enjoy full source availability as inherent requirement.