DIP69 - Implement scope for escape proof references

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 12 05:38:09 PST 2014

On Friday, 12 December 2014 at 12:34:40 UTC, Manu via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 12 December 2014 at 22:18, via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> On Friday, 12 December 2014 at 08:42:22 UTC, Manu via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>
>>> How can a member be marked scope? Apparently it's a storage
>>> class, not
>>> a type constructor... we can only attribute storage classes to
>>> function args/results(?).
>>

>> I was talking about my proposal here, where it's a type
>> modifier, not a
>> storage class.
>
> Oh okay. Is that still on the table?

Dunno, maybe? DIP69 doesn't look very well-received at the
moment...

>> deadalnix also brought up the problem of transitivity. This,
>> too, would
>> simply go away if it's a type modifier.
>
> Just for clarity, does type modifier mean the same thing as
> type constructor?

Yes. "Type modifier" = const, shared, immutable, etc.; "type
constructor" = the syntactical construct by which a type is
constructed/modified. Andrei suggested this differentiation some
time ago (sorry, don't have a reference at hand).