Julia vs. D?

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 12 10:58:59 PST 2014

On Friday, 12 December 2014 at 06:57:24 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

> I guess you can call D from Julia very easily via the C API and
> would just need to declare C calling convention in your D code.
>  It may be that with a combination of Julia and D one has the
> best of both  worlds - no compromise with speed and efficient
> resource use on the number crunching with a nice shell /
> Ipython notebook that is still pretty fast on the front end.
>
> Nicer would be a wrapper a la PyD that seamlessly translates
> between types.
>
> Then the other thing is to translate julia.h into D so that you
> can embed Julia.  That's a little work but not so hard.  More
> about how this works with C here:
>
> http://docs.julialang.org/en/release-0.3/manual/embedding/

That's interesting. I hadn't seen it before.

I communicated with John Myles White via Twitter some months ago,
and he said shared libraries for Julia should be coming. That
would mean you could compile Julia functions and call them
directly from D. This type of embedding is what you get with,
say, Guile Scheme. The shared library approach would be a lot
more convenient.