D game development: a call to action

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 13 23:38:19 PST 2014

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 17:20:48 +1000
Manu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 14 December 2014 at 16:57, ketmar via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 11:04:45 +1000
> > Manu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm also very interested in experiments writing game code on
> >> commercial-style engines.
> >> Hobby engines are nice, but we will get a much better feel for using D
> >> in the AAA games industry if a commercial-style engine is used.
> > what is "commercial-style engine"? as far as i know, "commercial-style"
> > means "unmaintainable pile of shit".
>
> Hard to describe... just the sort you'd find in a big commercial game.
> Perhaps I could say something like, highly optimised and purpose
> specific, as opposed to generalised and flexible/object oriented.
i've seen such code. it's... ah, it's terrible. unmaintainable. and
becomes garbage just when the next 3d-accel or processor is out. sure,
nobody cares as it is sold million times already and everyone is
working on another pile of shit now. libraries? code reusability?
design? architecture? screw that! i moved out of that industry 'cause i
couldn't take it anymore. they almost ruined my programming skills.

that's why i was so wondered.