Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 14 03:53:54 PST 2014

On Sunday, 14 December 2014 at 10:36:27 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> On Sunday, 14 December 2014 at 08:37:36 UTC, Manu via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> We were unable to build Win64 code (vibe.d doesn't support
>> Win64 it
>> seems), and the 32bit compiler produces useless OMF output. We
>> couldn't link against any of our existing code which was a
>> serious
>> inconvenience, but they were understanding and we worked
>> around it.
>
> Did you try the new 32-bit COFF support in dmd from git?
>
>> The result was a bunch of die-hard native C programmers,
>> initially
>> excited to use a native language to write a webserver, instead
>> saying
>> stuff like "wow, node.js just worked! that's amazing,
>> javascript is
>> awesome!"... and then mocking me about my D language thing.
>
> "die-hard native C programmers" who are fine with javascript?
> Is it one or two orders of magnitude slower than vibe.d? ;) I
> know v8 is fast for javascript, but it has to be significantly
> slower than C and D.

I have seen this in every project where we replaced legacy C++
systems by new ones implemented in .NET and Java.

First people will complain that the performance isn't comparable,
they are bloated, and so on.

The project goes forward, as it was a management decision.

Then it goes live, some hiccups that make existing C++ developers
rejoice that they were right after all

Lots of bug reports get generated and application performance
gets fine-tuned.

A few months later systems are running, end users barely see any
difference and a few C++ developers saying that the new systems
aren't that bad after all.

--
Paulo