Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 14 10:25:25 PST 2014

On Sunday, 14 December 2014 at 17:09:31 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> You mean scale like Twitter and LinkedIn?

Maybe that's why they still lose money hand over fist, especially
Twitter, because of all the extra servers they have to buy. :p By
comparison, Whatsapp was able to put millions of users on a
server with erlang and become profitable with much less revenue:

http://forum.dlang.org/post/bmvwftlyvlgmuehrtvlg@forum.dlang.org

> On my case, two examples of such project was a software stack
> for network monitoring, data aggregation and monitoring for
> mobile networks all the way down to network elements.
>
> The old system was a mix of Perl, C++/CORBA and Motif. The new
> system is all Java, with small C stack for resource constrained
> elements.
>
> Another example was replacing C++ applications in medicine
> image analysis with  90% .NET stack and a mix of C++/Assembly
> for image filters and driver P/Invoke glue.

It is instructive that you're dropping down to C/C++/Assembly in
each of these examples: that's not really making the case for
java/.net on their own.

> The problem is that the average coders don't learn to optimize
> code and in the end most business will just shell out money for
> more hardware than software development time.

Yeah, it's all about the particular job and what the tradeoffs
are there.  Most online apps don't need to scale to extremes,
which is why they're mostly not written in C++.