Why do you write D2 compiler using C++ language?

uri via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 14 16:58:28 PST 2014

On Sunday, 14 December 2014 at 16:44:09 UTC, ddj wrote:
> On Saturday, 13 December 2014 at 23:02:52 UTC, Mike Parker
> wrote:
>> On 12/13/2014 10:55 PM, ddj wrote:
>>
>>> But so many issues and bug fixes scares me from using it.
>>>

>> That's just the wrong way to look at it. Take a look at the
>> bug list for gcc, any of the Java compilers, or clang. Are you
>> afraid to use them as well?
>
> Maybe, but gcc and java compilers have long history of stable
> releases and many programs and libraries written. Clang has
> standards to implement and! static analyzer.

As Mike said, look at the bug tracker history for these projects.
Even with all those stable releases there were always lots of
open bugs and today in GCC 4.9 there are issues:

http://lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/kernel/1407.3/00650.html

We use GCC 4.8 at my work where we develop class II and class III
health-care devices - A life support system is class III...how
well do you trust GCC? :-).

Joking aside we design for failure and have a 4 year verification
process that weeds out critical bugs in our code and the compiler.

Cheers,
uri