Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 14 17:29:58 PST 2014

On Sunday, 14 December 2014 at 08:37:36 UTC, Manu via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> We were trying to use vibe.d, and we encountered bugs.
>
> We were unable to build Win64 code ...

Here is exactly your problem - trying to do a web development on
Windows :P Really I have never understood that counter-productive
obsession with a habit that makes people differentiate
development environments and production environments so much. You
aren't going to use Windows servers, are you?

Well, that was somewhat off-topic grumpy remark. On actual
marketing thing:

In my opinion biggest evangelist mistake everyone makes it trying
to advertise D for something it simply isn't. Which inevitably
fails and leaves people extremely frustrated with false
advertising, like to remain there forever as a prejudice against
D. Because you will have a better luck torturing kittens than try
false advertising and get caught.

Idea that any D project can compete with node.js in "easy to jump
in" domain is absolutely ridiculous. Attempting this is just
dooming yourself to fail. Same is trying to advertise it is
stable mature language - reality is it is simply not true and
people will find out it sooner or later.

I think trying to sell D should look something like this "Yes, D
is horrible because of X, Y and Z but here is why it doesn't
matter for our case : A, B and C". Don't pretend perfection but
explain trade-offs.

You won't beat node.js in getting started curve. You won't beat
Java in designing huge complex systems (well, at least everyone
says that). You won't beat C in raw low-level performance. But D
will easily beat C in getting started curve and complex design,
easily beat node.js in performance and complex design and
(not-so-easily) beat Java in performance and overall versatility.

Remember the talk by Stephan
(http://dconf.org/2014/talks/dilly.html) about their vibe.d usage
in production and points he has made when comparing vs node.js?
It was about performance, it was about resource overhead, it was
about benefits of static type system and horrors of callback
hell. It wasn't about how vibe.d is more shiny than node.js - and
it was good.

If your colleagues went with node in the end and kept happy with
it, quite likely they simple don't need advantages vibe.d can
give to their project. There is no shame in it.