Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 15 04:07:47 PST 2014

On Monday, 15 December 2014 at 11:42:31 UTC, ponce wrote:
> On Monday, 15 December 2014 at 10:46:30 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>>
>> I don't plan it and don't realistically ever expect it.
>> Considering the fact that game development industry is
>> traditionally one of the worst in contributing upstream I also
>> don't have any motivation to convince them adopt D.
>>
>> If there ever appears a game development company / community
>> interested in _investing_ into programming language that would
>> be totally different story but also irrelevant to enterprise
>> culture you refer to.
>
> We talk a lot of game developers here, and it's an interesting
> target but there are many other native programmers stuck with
> C++ and often unable to use anything else, in the many niches
> of the world.

What I mean is that the very approach of "how are you going to
sell D to X" is doomed to fail because when there is no real
product to sell. Proper question would be "how are you going to
invite X to collaborate on D" and with such mentality it is only
practical to think about interests of people that are expected to
give something back.

At some point I have hoped that Facebook would take over D as
commercial project but this train has long been gone by now. I
consider is good platform for tinkerers, for those willing to
take the risk and go for in-house innovation - nothing more,
nothing less.