Lost a new commercial user this week :(

CraigDillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 15 13:15:19 PST 2014

On Monday, 15 December 2014 at 20:40:29 UTC, evenex wrote:
> This is just my $0.02, not to ask for anything specific, but to
> add to the cross-section of perspectives on this topic, to whom
> it may concern:
>
> A colleague and I are writing a framework for building and
> managing complex simulations and chose to implement in D for
> the modeling power that the template system brings, which
> allows us to make an expressive and fairly performant API that
> is also flexible and easily refactored thanks to static assert
> and unittest...
>
> But we keep getting hamstrung by bugs; hitting compiler
> segfaults during template metaprogramming is a very common
> occurrence, and sometimes UFCS fails. We continue to make
> progress but lose a lot of time finding workarounds for
> apparently valid but noncompiling code. We are hoping that with
> the increased interest in D lately, the implementation will
> stabilize, but we are nervous about the long-term prospects.
>
> This is a risk we knowingly undertake in exchange for the
> aforementioned advantages. A lot of cool stuff is possible with
> D that we can't do in other languages but I constantly work
> with the fear that we'll stumble upon some compiler bug in 6
> months time that we can't find a way around. (I originally
> tried to write this system in C++ and I dread the idea of
> returning to it.)
>
> One of our target use-cases is gaming, and to this end we hope
> that the difficulty we've had in getting D environments working
> in Windows will be alleviated soon so that we can confidently
> target that platform.
>
> As typical college students (I am a senior, partner is recent
> grad) we can't afford to put up bounties or contract anyone but
> we put up bug reports when we can (this will be easier when dub
> dustmite functionality is fully implemented) and can poke
> around at dmd in gdb in the hopes of getting some useful info
> to the contributors (I have very little knowledge of compilers,
> though I have been gleaning details from running dmd in gdb.
> I'm not yet at the point where I can attempt my own fixes,
> though I hold out hope that some things will click soon and I
> can make a more active contribution effort).
>
> We're willing to invest in D, in whatever way we can, and hope
> to someday (sooner rather than later) add ourselves to the list
> of D success stories.
>
> But, our success depends on a stable, multi-platform
> implementation. So we are open to ways on how we might improve
> D more proactively. Right now we are developing on dmd git head
> (for the latest fixes) but would like to transition to ldc (for
> the optimization) as we solidify our design.

Is your project open source?   If so as a student we will likely
be looking for applications to the 2015 Google Summer of Code, if
D is accepted as a mentoring organization.  I would need to
investigate if having a student working on their existing project
would be allowable, but it might be possible.  We would still
have to find a mentor for you.

Alternately GSOC 2015 might be your chance to learn a bit more
about compilers!