Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Tobias Pankrath via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 17 02:49:19 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 10:33:34 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:48:26 +0000
> Tobias Pankrath via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
> wrote:
>
>> std.container.Array(T) if(is(Unqual!T == bool)) vs.
>> std.container.Array(T) if(!is(Unqual!T == bool)).
>>
>> That's super unhelpful for newcomers.
> that's why newcomers should NOT try to learn the language using
> reference documentation for standard library.
>
> when i started to learn D, i found and read Andrei's book,
> Ali's book
> and Philippe's "template tutorial". and i never complained that
> phobos
> reference documentation is "hostile to beginners" -- 'cause
> it's NOT
> for beginners. you are expected to learn the language before
> reading
> reference dox.
>
> yet i agree that formatting can be better. but as i tend to
> produce
> completely unreadable mess when i trying to fix any formatting,
> didn't do anything in that direction.

I don't think we should require newcomers to understand the
is-expression (Even now I have to look it up now and then) and
notion of a qualified type and to look of what that Unqual(T)
template actually is, just to understand the documentation of an
simple container, something that many newcomers will use to write
small programs while learning the language.

Learning the language and programming in the language are not two
different stages.