Lost a new commercial user this week :(

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 17 08:31:22 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 15:01:32 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 10:16:22 UTC, ketmar via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 18:06:25 +1000
>> Manu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd suggest to look at high-quality commercial documentation,
>>> like MSDN or wherever.
>> please, no! the fact that you are used to it doesn't mean that
>> msdn is a quality dox.
>>
> Frankly, I think you're letting your prejudices against the
> source of the documentation cloud your judgement of the
> quality.  Much as I hate to admit it, their _reference_
> documentation is much more readable at the baseline.

Yep, MSDN is pretty good. I often end up there when other sources
fail. They are also quite good at documenting what version you
need to use a feature.

> _less noisy_.  This is what we mean when we talk about
> "quality" in documentation.  Hell, a lot of CPAN docs are
> easier to follow than the Phobos stuff, and that's _Perl_ for
> crissakes!

I'd like to see the phobos documentation in a XML format. That
would make it a lot easier to parse, analyse and generate
improved extended documentation.

> aside a chunk of time to "learn" it is really silly.  But it's
> not as silly as the idea that you don't learn the language by
> diving in.
>  You know, by using it (and the standard library) to solve a
> problem?  This is simply how people pick up new programming
> languages.

Commented code in tutorials and a collection of short idiomatic
examples + good reference documentation with
fast-easy-and-precise lookup goes a long way.

> It's more akin to the Haskell reaction: "This seems neat, but
> it's asking way too much of me and I don't have time for it."

Yep, that is how I felt about Haskell when using the interpreter
many years ago, but this:

https://tryhaskell.org/

is enough to get me beyond the initial "headache" that the
weirder aspects of Haskell may cause (such as the function
signatures).

Such interactive walk-throughs of the basics are really useful if
you want to ease the learning curve in a fun way.