D game development: a call to action

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 17 15:58:02 PST 2014

On 17/12/14 08:53, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Errors should be fine... I imagine assert is an intrinsic defined by
> the backends(?).

TBH I think it was a daft question.  An Error thrown by assert failure ought to
bring down the whole program anyway, and probably for a game you'd use the
-release flag to strip out asserts for release builds.

> In Fuji, I register an assert handler (core.exception.assertHandler =
> myAssert) which is implemented by Fuji and is portable.
>
> Oh yeah, TLS, that's another one that tends to require special treatment.
>
> Basically, the language will produce working code for all platforms
> I've tried if you avoid: exceptions, TLS, GC.
> I'm fine with this, that's how I write code anyway. In the case of
> Fuji, there are Fuji API's to do most of the low-level druntime/phobos
> stuff that might not be supported (threads, synchronisation,
> allocation, etc).

Sounds interesting -- can you clarify the issue with TLS?  (Apologies if you've
already explained this in earlier discussions, feel free to tell me to just
search the forums if so;-)