Do everything in Java…

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 00:17:47 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 22:24:09 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 17:09:34 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 12/4/14 6:39 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>>> On Thursday, 4 December 2014 at 13:48:04 UTC, Russel Winder
>>> via

>>> Also relevant:
>>> http://wiki.jetbrains.net/intellij/Developing_and_running_a_Java_EE_Hello_World_application
>>
>> Very interesting. Even after all IDE details are factored out,
>> the code is quite convoluted. No wonder Ruby on Rails and
>> friends are so attractive by comparison. -- Andrei
>
> Hah.  I tried RoR once.  I couldn't get the environment set up
> and running and eventually just gave up.

After learning what RoR was about, I lost my interest.

I had been there once back in the early .COM days in a startup
that did, lets call it, TCL on Rails. It was inspired by
AOLserver for those who remember it.

Eventually scaling problems made us consider other options, then
since we were in a position to have access to early versions of
.NET, the decision was made to adopt it.

Almost everything that RoR 1.0 was doing, our TCL framework did
as well. Specially the whole ActiveRecord thing.

We just weren't famous.

--
Paulo