Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 03:00:42 PST 2014

On Thursday, 18 December 2014 at 06:01:34 UTC, Vadim Lopatin
wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 December 2014 at 09:53:06 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
> wrote:
>> Yeah they are great projects.
>> But they won't ever be what I'm looking for.
>>
>> Personally?
>> - I want a gui toolkit that is accelerated e.g. OpenGL.
>> - That can be layered drawn on top of other OpenGL content.
>> - Completely configurable at runtime e.g. change of shaders.
>> - Centralized themeing.
>> - That works on all major platforms without heartache.
>>
>> But here's the thing about guis in general.
>> Gui toolkits are not really designed to work with OpenGL like
>> this.
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on GUI toolkit DLangUI which meets almost all of
> your requirements
>
> https://github.com/buggins/dlangui
>
> Try demo app:
>
> git clone git at github.com:buggins/dlangui.git
> dub run dlangui:example1
>
> Native. Fully written in D. Widget set can be easy extended.
> Look and feel is based on themes / styles similar to Android.
> Scalable UI. Resources can be selected based on screen
> resolution.
> Layouts similar to Android UI allow to adjust UI to different
> window sizes.
> Cross platform.
>
>> - I want a gui toolkit that is accelerated e.g. OpenGL.
>
> Build it with USE_OPENGL to have OpenGL acceleration.
>
>> - That can be layered drawn on top of other OpenGL content.
>
> Additional development required.
> a) To use in some custom environment (e.g. draw GUI in some
> gamedev engine), you need to implement Platform and Window
> classes to pass Mouse / Key event to UI, and to draw UI above
> other content when necessary.
> b) Use DLangUI platform for event processing and context
> creation, just extend drawing functionality to draw custom
> content. (Easy to do).
>
>> - Completely configurable at runtime e.g. change of shaders.
>
> Internally it uses only two shaders.
> For custom drawn GL scenes, just write your own code.
>
>> - Centralized themeing.
>
> Styles and themes are being defined in XML resources. Partially
> compatible with ones from Android. State aware drawables.
> Nine-patch drawables.
> Theme can be switched in run time.
>
>> - That works on all major platforms without heartache.
>
> For most platforms, SLD2 backend can be used (version USE_SDL).
> On Windows, you may use native Win32 backend (if not specified
> version USE_SDL).
> XCB(X11) backend is suspended for now. Didn't manage to get
> OpenGL working under it.
>
> For all platforms, OpenGL acceleration can be used (version
> USE_OPENGL).
> If OpenGL context creation is failed, app just falls back to
> software renderer.
>
> Development of the project is in progress. But it is getting
> more and more usable every day.
>
> Best regards,
>     Vadim (aka Buggins)

Very good! I tried it and couldn't clone the repo (permission
denied). Downloaded the master zip instead, ran the above command
and got this message (dmd v2.066.0 64bit Linux):

Running dmd...
src/dlangui/dialogs/filedlg.d(86): Error: None of the overloads
of 'rows' are callable using argument types (ulong), candidates
are:
src/dlangui/widgets/grid.d(286):
dlangui.widgets.grid.GridWidgetBase.rows()
src/dlangui/widgets/grid.d(288):
dlangui.widgets.grid.GridWidgetBase.rows(int r)
src/dlangui/widgets/lists.d(105): Error: cannot implicitly
convert expression (this._states.length) of type ulong to int
FAIL
.dub/build/library-debug-linux.posix-x86_64-dmd_2066-A75BA498AEDB85DC20AE1A4A96C79D4B/
dlanguilib staticLibrary
Error executing command run: dmd failed with exit code 1.

I'd really love to test your gui toolkit, something I've been
dreaming of for a long time!