Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 03:15:25 PST 2014

On 18 December 2014 at 20:38, ketmar via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 20:24:36 +1000
> Manu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17 December 2014 at 20:33, ketmar via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

>> > that's why newcomers should NOT try to learn the language using
>> > reference documentation for standard library.
>> >
>> > when i started to learn D, i found and read Andrei's book, Ali's book
>> > and Philippe's "template tutorial". and i never complained that phobos
>> > reference documentation is "hostile to beginners" -- 'cause it's NOT
>> > for beginners. you are expected to learn the language before reading
>> > reference dox.
>>
>> I couldn't disagree more. People aren't allocated work time to read books.
>> Books are for students or language enthusiasts who want to learn about
>> programming in their home time. That doesn't apply to most
>> professional programmers I've ever worked with.
> that's right: most "professional programmes" i've seen simply can't
> program. i wouldn't allow them to wash my dishes.

This is even more offensive; suggesting that professional engineers
aren't entitled to lives?
'Excellent' programmers are fairly rare, and often come at the expense
of other pursuits in their lives.
You have to get work done with the resources available.

>> Most people just want to go home to their wives and kids.
> that's why the whole software industry sux nowdays. if one doesn't like
> his work he shouldn't do that work. simple as it is.

I'm not sure how having a life outside of work implies not liking your work?

> (just for info: i'm near my 40 and i still love to spend sleepless
> nights writing interesting code or learning something new)

Good for you.

>> Docs need to have examples which are plain and obvious, and the
>> language will be absorbed by osmosis.
> but phobos dox are exactly like this! i was never puzzled by phobos
> documentation, and it has alot of samples which illustrates various
> things. reader just expected to know D, it's template system and some
> basic "idiomatic" things like ranges.

Congratulations, but my case study demonstrated otherwise.