What is the D plan's to become a used language?

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 05:07:06 PST 2014

On 19/12/2014 1:38 a.m., bioinfornatics wrote:
> Dear,
>
> My topic is a kick in the anthill. I hope this will help D to think on
> his problems.
>
> D exist since 1999, if we look behind, what is done?
> We have :
> - a huge cemetery of D project
> - no D killer application
> - miss the goal what to do to improve D experience
> - each new D release your application is broken and often with
> some D compiler bugs
> With around 15 years of works we are at same state as the
> beginning.
> What to do:
>    - Stop to add new feature in D (new annotation or whatever is
> not an urgent needs)
>    - Get a compiler and a language stable
>    - When this is done work on some free (libre) framework in some
> specific fields
>       * grid computing (sub-field: data-computing)
>       * web-server
>       * graphics computing (sub-field: gui )
> And not more, not to disperse …
>

>  From the beginning D had a bad start (1999-200X):
> - dmd compiler was not totally open.
> - we got a fight on standard library phobos - tango
> With this language started to get a bad publicity
> - d2 is come with a new syntax which kill lot of project: ->
> http://www.dsource.org/
> survivor are: phobos: derelict, gtkd all others are dead
>
> We get for years deprecated module: xml, json, mmfile
>
> When we introduce a new feature we release it with a partial use:
> - @safe often is not used as is not yet implemented into phobos
> - range even the basic io as ByLine which implement range can't work
> with std.range.takeOne as is not an Input Range. While a basic function
> such as takeOne do not really need to use save method to work a forward
> range is enough.
>
> So we adding feature and going forward without consolidate the previous
> works.
> That is like you give to a children a gift, barely opened you give
> another gift.
>
> Currently D project are:
> - not open project to make money (no code shared)
> - personal code ( which fit only one point of view )
>
> Really I hope to see D3 with a clean model and a stable language. Do not
> release it as a toy like was done for D1 and D2.
> Release D3 with much ah possible no compiler bug and a well implemented
> standard library. We have get enough experience to do it.
>

> Why we do not create a useful D programming environment as is done is
> java, python, ruby.

I'm in agreement that we need to start freezing the language.
E.g. in the next 6 months we will get x done. And no new features other
then those chosen will be added.

One thing I will say without going full raging, we as a community need
to work together for scoping of reusable projects that we all can agree to.
By scoping down significantly we won't have massive big code bases that
are both a library and framework for a number of uses all rolled into one.
We have dub, which has sub packages its not acceptable to not do this.

D as a language is easy to sell to an education institute as a first
language. I've done it.
Now we really should focus on getting started and cook book related
tutorials on the main site.
Ali's book is amazing, but we also need to get e.g. ApplyYourDLang or
something along those lines properly going and having them both combined
as part of the main site. Maybe even with a nice big flashy banner at
the top of the page saying go there to get started.