Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Mathias LANG via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 05:52:25 PST 2014

On Thursday, 18 December 2014 at 10:47:56 UTC, Manu via
Digitalmars-d wrote:

> I think you've missed my entire point.
> The summary is this:
> Tried D, tried a very popular and often hyped D
> library/framework,
> encountered bugs. There was friction along the way which
> undermines
> confidence, but the critical point, the thing that caused the
> call to
> be made, was that the debugger didn't work, and we were unable
> diagnose the bug with relative ease.
> It's possible that wouldn't have inspired the call to be made
> if it
> weren't for the prior friction... ie, if it were the first
> point of
> friction, we might have persevered through that one, but the
> aggregate
> prior to that point painted a clear picture, and that was the
> proverbial straw.
>
> Immaturity in the language seemed to allow for greater
> tolerance than
> immaturity in the tooling.
> This is the experience I was trying to convey... which was to
> be taken
> as a case study, that is all.

What I'm wondering is how is it you didn't encounter this issue
yourself before ? If you've been using D for 6 or 7 years, and it
was a small project that was done in 20 to 30 lines of node.js ?
So you clearly entered unknown territory and expected everything
to be fine, despite your experience with D.

Can you link us to the issue(s) you created on Vibe.d's Github ?

We know some stuff sux. Just look at std.datetime's
documentation. On my 15" laptop, the links take all the screen.
And this part is totally useless, as no one is going to use it
(beside ctrl + f, but you have to know what you are looking for).
Not mentioning the size of enum (just look at how much space
trivial enums such as "DayOfWeek" or "Month" takes).

However, many of us lack the time and interest to fix this, as we
know our way around. The same goes for all the tooling/libraries,
they were developped, and are maintained out of one's necessity,
not because "we" need it.