What is the D plan's to become a used language?

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 06:52:26 PST 2014

On Thursday, 18 December 2014 at 13:16:11 UTC, bioinfornatics
wrote:
> about Dub, I have another view.
> This build system was created for end user to get a missing
> library when they want their killer application. As is done
> with PyPI or gem.

Build system is never for end users but always for developers.
Dub is 100% superior to gems/pip because it decoupled application
dependencies and development dependencies. End user gets
applications built with dub and sees no traces of it, neither he
needs to be aware of any of code.dlang.org packages - this is the
huge benefit of compiled languages and specifically dub.

Contrary to that gem/pip force me to install loads of stuff that
is not handled by system package manager and does not
inter-operate with the rest of the OS. It sucks, though somewhat
inevitable by design of interpreted languages.

> Dub to me is not a builder for developer and even less for an
> OS. dub install software in home user "a la" windows style.

Bullshit. No, BULLSHIT.

Users should never see dub or even know of its existence. It is
only for developers and packagers. Stop considering developers
users and you will be good.