Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 06:55:18 PST 2014

On Thursday, 18 December 2014 at 14:34:10 UTC, Manu via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 18 December 2014 at 23:52, Mathias LANG via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 18 December 2014 at 10:47:56 UTC, Manu via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>

>>> I think you've missed my entire point.
>>> The summary is this:
>>> Tried D, tried a very popular and often hyped D
>>> library/framework,
>>> encountered bugs. There was friction along the way which
>>> undermines
>>> confidence, but the critical point, the thing that caused the
>>> call to
>>> be made, was that the debugger didn't work, and we were
>>> unable to
>>> diagnose the bug with relative ease.
>>> It's possible that wouldn't have inspired the call to be made
>>> if it
>>> weren't for the prior friction... ie, if it were the first
>>> point of
>>> friction, we might have persevered through that one, but the
>>> aggregate
>>> prior to that point painted a clear picture, and that was the
>>> proverbial straw.
>>>
>>> Immaturity in the language seemed to allow for greater
>>> tolerance than
>>> immaturity in the tooling.
>>> This is the experience I was trying to convey... which was to
>>> be taken
>>> as a case study, that is all.
>>>

>> What I'm wondering is how is it you didn't encounter this
>> issue yourself
>> before ? If you've been using D for 6 or 7 years, and it was a
>> small project
>> that was done in 20 to 30 lines of node.js ? So you clearly
>> entered unknown
>> territory and expected everything to be fine, despite your
>> experience with
>> D.
>
> Simple, I never tried to use websockets in vibe.d
> I had some past experience with vibe.d to do some web page
> stuff, and
> my experience was practically flawless, which is why I had
> confidence
> in it in the first place.
>
> Other common language issues that I did anticipate, I expected
> to be
> able to work through. I did know the debugger was an issue; it
> was
> actually my biggest fear going in. It did turn out to be the
> thing
> that bit me in the arse!
> I just hoped/expected we wouldn't need the debugger in such a
> small
> and simple program.
> The debugger does work okay for certain tasks, particularly if
> you
> control your coding style and make sure it's compatible with the
> debugger. I didn't have that luxury though as I usually do,
> since we
> were working on a foreign framework.
>

>> Can you link us to the issue(s) you created on Vibe.d's Github
>> ?

> [...]

So to sum things up

1. you blindly walked into something you had no real experience
with, apart from some vague memory that some parts of vibed
worked for you a while ago.

2. you knew the debugger might be an issue, if not _the_ issue,
but chose not to test it beforehand, or couldn't test it
beforehand, because

3. you were working on a foreign framework (and simply hoped
things would work out fine, fingers crossed!).

These are crucial bits of information that were missing from your
first report.

Please try to be more accurate the next time. Holding back
crucial information gets us nowhere. It only leaves the (false)
impression that D is completely unusable.