D game development: a call to action

Sebastiaan Koppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 09:33:24 PST 2014

On Sunday, 14 December 2014 at 08:02:47 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I find a much bigger problem is tendency for some programmers
>> commit over-abstraction, sacrificing heaps of
>> efficiency/performance
>> in the process. Most open-source engines are this kind, and
>> will never
>> release a AAA game in a competitive market.
> ah, that's the other end of the spectrum (and my own problem
> too ;-).
> i'm still searching for good heuristic that will tell me when i
> should
> stop abstracting and just write the damn thing. ;-)

Programming is a wicked problem; you only know how to do it after
you done it. So my suggestion is to just write the damn thing,
and then rewrite the whole thing if it bugs you too much.
Essentially a lot of rinse-and-repeat.

I always do refactoring manually, so I developed a nack for
knowing how to write quick code that is easy to refactor.

Ofcourse having clients screaming in your neck helps alot too :)