What is the D plan's to become a used language?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 13:22:11 PST 2014

On 18/12/14 14:07, Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I'm in agreement that we need to start freezing the language.
> E.g. in the next 6 months we will get x done. And no new features other then
> those chosen will be added.

IMHO, it's important to demarcate well what is considered "done", but also to
enthusiastically embrace breaking changes that improve the performance and
reliability of the language.

Well-defined and well-kept promises for what is stable, what is in development,
and what is in the roadmap, matter more than just freezing things.  The fact
that "problem X will never be fixed because of backwards compatibility" can be
just as demotivating to uptake (if not more so) than "feature Y may change in
the next release".