What is the D plan's to become a used language?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 16:18:48 PST 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 08:12:07PM +0000, Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> - better reference documentation.  I don't believe I lack the ability
> generally to figure things out, but the dlang.org library reference is
> far from being utterly clear if you don't start from a place of
> understanding the language and its concepts.  once you get the spirit
> of it, it all makes sense, but modern people don't tend to be
> distinguished by their grit and many will give up first.

Please file documentation enhancement bugs in bugzilla.  I do try to
work on improving documentation when I have the time, but if nobody
points out a possible improvement, I might never think of it (or it
might take a long time before I notice it, esp. if I rarely use that
module!). I'm sure others who browse bugzilla from time to time will
also appreciate having documentation bugs to work on -- since they're
generally the lowest-hanging fruit that even most newbies should be able
to contribute to.

> - better worked examples.  python is outstanding for this.  you can
> figure out how to do anything by looking at someone else's example.
> of course there isn't presently the support for this, and I recognize
> that one attracts a different kind of person when it becomes easy to
> learn a language.  but such is the price of maturity.

Please file doc enhancement requests for these too. :-) A lot of Phobos
documentation is unfortunately quite lacking in good examples. I've done
a few of them, but generally, having a bugzilla issue for it is much
better, because I may already know function X like the back of my hand
and so never notice that the examples aren't that good, whereas if a
newbie pointed out that the examples for X are unclear, then I'd know
there's an issue and look into how to explain X better.

[...]
> - finally, a bit better organisation.  Andrei spoke about needing more
> lieutenants.  Of course it's a no-brainer that he shouldn't be
> spending his time designing a conference web site.  But perhaps you
> could make it clearer by adding a section on the D wiki front page:
> "Interested in supporting D?  Here's how you can help".  It could then
> take you to a page that breaks down different areas to work on and
> tasks to be accomplished on each of them.  Then someone with time and
> inclination can see "oh - it would be great to have someone promote
> this event on Reddit".  But as things stand, I imagine to a certain
> extent nobody knows what specifically they can do.
[...]

There's some preliminary info at:

	http://wiki.dlang.org/Get_involved

But it would be greatly appreciated if you could help improve it by
adding more material. ;-)

"You are a very disagreeable person." "NO."