Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 23:11:21 PST 2014

On Friday, 19 December 2014 at 06:47:31 UTC, Manu via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 19 December 2014 at 00:55, Chris via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 18 December 2014 at 14:34:10 UTC, Manu via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> So to sum things up
>>
>> 1. you blindly walked into something you had no real
>> experience with, apart
>> from some vague memory that some parts of vibed worked for you
>> a while ago.
>>
>> 2. you knew the debugger might be an issue, if not _the_
>> issue, but chose
>> not to test it beforehand, or couldn't test it beforehand,
>> because
>>
>> 3. you were working on a foreign framework (and simply hoped
>> things would
>> work out fine, fingers crossed!).
>>
>> These are crucial bits of information that were missing from
>> your first
>> report.
>>
>> Please try to be more accurate the next time. Holding back
>> crucial
>> information gets us nowhere. It only leaves the (false)
>> impression that D is
>> completely unusable.
>
> Fuck you guys.
> I'm done here.

I think it's a fair criticism that you knew D projects like
vibe.d and perhaps the language itself tend to favor linux and
that the tooling on Windows, ie linker and debugger, is not so
great, yet jumped in and hoped it would work.  You took a
low-odds gamble that it would all work and it crapped out.

Perhaps Chris is too accusatory and defensive about the language
when pointing this out, but D has its weak spots and you walked
into some of them.  Thanks for pointing them out, even if the
core team already knew about most of them, as it's another
anecdote to add to the list.

Perhaps this thread you started will spur people to work on some
of these issues.