Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Sergei Nosov via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 19 03:56:19 PST 2014

On Friday, 19 December 2014 at 11:16:41 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/19/2014 2:47 AM, Sergei Nosov wrote:
>> The probable solution to this is to attract some "good"
>> programmers to point out
>> and work on the aforementioned issues - site, documentation,
>> tooling, etc. But
>> I'm not sure it's possible to do this for D with volunteer
>> efforts.
>
> Sure it's possible - but the issues have to be specific. "Need
> more examples", for example (!), is nice but not helpful to
> anyone trying to improve the documentation. Saying "I need an
> example for std.foo.bar()" is an actionable item.

I'm afraid, the answer to this specific question is - "Every
function needs an example". Consider, e.g.
http://en.cppreference.com/w/ or
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/ It's hard to find a function
that doesn't have a usage example.

Granted, the mentioned references are most likely volunteer
effort (are they?). But it took C++ something like 20 years and a
wide corporate adoption for that to happen.

I guess, it took less time for other languages, like Python or
Ruby, but that's, probably, because those languages looked really
interesting and fun at their times. So they attracted a lot of
"good" programmers.

D poses itself as a more serious language (at least it's how it
looks like). And, probably, nobody will say that it's bad. But,
as a consequence, it makes it less attractive to "good"
programmers. Especially now, when there's lot of successful "toy"
languages. D is not "flashy" enough these days.