Lost a new commercial user this week :(

uri via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 19 04:52:31 PST 2014

On Friday, 19 December 2014 at 11:54:42 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:47:27 +0000
> Sergei Nosov via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In the "debugger" case, Manu's point is that it's unusable.
>> And Walter's implied point is "debuggers aren't that useful
>> anyway, so why it was a showstopper?".
>>
>> My personal observation is that "excellent programmers" share
>> the Walter's point on debuggers - they practically don't use
>> it. And the uselessness is so obvious, that there's nothing
>> even to talk about. At the same time, "good programmers" use
>> it extensively, especially on Windows. It is so useful to
>> them, that there's nothing even to talk about!
>
> one of the things one can do if he is in corresponding position
> is to
> ban debuggers. i found that after month or two people start
> producing
> better code with better documentation and "control knobs". and
> surprisingly faster. debugger is just a kind of bad habit, and
> when
> people faced the fact that they will not be payed for work
> simulation
> (and why should we?), they either go or becomes more productive.

This is true. The first week for a new developer where I work is
developing a better boot loader. The debugger is not allowed
during this induction week and as a result our devs learn how to
write better code first time through careful planning and
understanding of what's going on at the machine level.

Cheers,
uri