Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Wyatt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 19 05:33:06 PST 2014

On Friday, 19 December 2014 at 09:15:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/18/2014 2:24 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> People aren't allocated work time to read books.
>
> This can't be generally true. Most people who attend
> programming conferences, for example, are attending on their
> employer's dime.

Are you _quite_ sure about that?  Because all my experience
agrees with Manu.  If any of us (I think we have about 400
developers here?) have need of a book, we're skimming it and
cherry-picking the important bits to what needs done _right now_.
  This is part of why I really appreciate that Andrei had a proper
index written for TDPL; it makes it fit into "real world"
workflows (as I know them) much better.

The class of people who attend programming conferences is an
extreme minority of our field.  They're about as representative
of our industry as you believe the posters on these newsgroups
are of the D userbase.

-Wyatt