What is the D plan's to become a used language?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 19 06:58:07 PST 2014

On Friday, 19 December 2014 at 14:38:02 UTC, Tobias Pankrath
wrote:
>> As for Walter already saying "no" a lot, given how many
>> features D has, obviously one can still wish he went from 99%
>> "no" to 99.5%. ;)  You don't need to be around the D community
>> forever to feel that D still has too many features that made
>> it in.
>
> Care to name a few and justify why exactly those features
> should be gone?

No, as that's not really my problem.  I was simply trying to
clarify the argument others have made, that the language seems
overstuffed and overwhelming, which I have experienced at times
but I'm not personally complaining about.

To Walter, the language may feel like it consists of a small,
well-chosen set of features, given the many others he's nixed
over the years.  But to others coming to D from even smaller or
less well-thought out languages, even that set may seem too big
and overwhelming to navigate.  Certainly, they may feel that it
would be better to focus on honing less features, rather than
adding more half-baked but potentially good ones, however nice
they'd be to have.