What is the D plan's to become a used language?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 19 08:45:39 PST 2014

On Friday, 19 December 2014 at 15:11:30 UTC, Tobias Pankrath
wrote:
> If we want to discuss the future of the language, it's totally
> pointless to do it in an abstract way. “We need to make the
> language more stable“ is not a goal or something, it is totally
> unclear what that actually means, why this is important in the
> first place, how we can say that we have accomplished it or
> what we need to do to realise that goal.

Yes, but it would be easy to define some focused goals for each
release and refuse to touch stuff that belongs to a later
release. E.g.

2.70-2.79:
- fix all problems related to private changes in libraries
breaking application-code

2.80-2.89:
- focus on polishing support for applications that use GC and can
take the collection hit

2.90-2.99:
- focus on polishing support for applications that are real time
and don't use GC
- standard lib fully @nogc
- scope etc

3.0:
- breaking change: full clean up of syntax
- non-GC ownership model
- optional precise GC
- remove less important features: lazy, etc…

3.1:
- 3.0 update, supplements features in 3.0

3.2-3.3:
- faster compilation

3.4-3.5
- profiling guided optimization