Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 19 23:57:53 PST 2014

On 19 December 2014 at 19:15, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 12/18/2014 2:24 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> People aren't allocated work time to read books.
>

> This can't be generally true. Most people who attend programming
> conferences, for example, are attending on their employer's dime.

In my experience, only a select few highly privileged developers tend
to have the opportunity to attend conferences, and such opportunities
may be years apart. I don't think that's the 'general' case.
The general case from my perspective, is people who go to work to get
paid to pay their bills and enjoy their lives in whatever way they
prefer to do that. They may or may not be good at their job, but the
point is about their life's priorities.

They're not necessarily 'bad' programmers; they may be perfectly
capable of learning any new material they require to do their job on
the fly... but if there's a significantly greater degree of friction
than they expect (a precedent defined by competitors which we have no
real control over), they will complain, and probably won't look again
in the future.
It takes a special kind of programmer who will continue to contribute
substantial time to their skillset in their own time after they have
already been reliably employed for a decent number of years.

Those people are already here. Andrei's 'million users' are not, and
those people are will largely be the people I describe, and most of
them will learn on the fly, while on the job.