What is the D plan's to become a used language?

Vic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 20 11:11:52 PST 2014

First, thank you all the committers for a 'gifted free' lang that
we use to build a company, we could have used any lang, we chose
D.

My point is on 'management' more than on 'software'. On
management, *EVERY* project is resource constrained, so imo, D
should figure out what resources it has at hand. Based on that
prioritize what can be maintained and what can't be maintained
and hence marked as deprecated (so those that do care for it can
move it downstream). It's painful to kill many scared cows. I
used example or CLR and JRE team size relative to their 'features
surface area'.

Also, I'm pleased that 'no' is said at times (but ... we are
still adding things right, w/o saying: and if we add that, what
are 2 features we can move downstream?'. Last I'm hearing is
Andreii will gift C++ compatibility, etc into core. **: reason to
split up forum into users and public comitters so people like me
don't panic)
Cheers,
Vic
ps:
Second smaller thing I 'elude' to but don't verbalize in that
argument is my personal preference for a smaller language. Less
is better/faster. I proposed to move those deprecated  features
'downstream', just like Linux Kernel and Linux GNU are separated
(but can't exist w/o each other). To build an eco system.
(here is comments on C++ having more features, one of the reasons
I like smaller
http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/c++/linus
I do see 'featuritis' http://bit.ly/1wzVPMR as a way to doom
projects in a compound way )

As to Walter (yes I used Wacom c compiler) saying No, I think he
is to nice and 99.5% is not good enough, I'd like him to be a mean
- http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/l/linustorva141511.html
and start removing things. The list of candidates is long, GC has
been brought up as something that can be moved downstream.
D could have reference counters in base classes, but end users
could INJECT a 3rd party GC mechanism they like. It's same thing,
but downstream. Also I showed example of Go exceptions being
downstream.
I'm not saying these 2 (our of 100) are not nice features, I'm
saying if 'we' were forced, they could be moved downstream. You
can just open Andreii's D book table of contents and find over
weight things - if you are motivated to do that.