Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 20 12:29:34 PST 2014

> i'm not talking about "excellent" programmes, i'm talking about
> basic
> CS knowledge. "why crc32 is bad hashing function?" "how to
> negate
> machine integer without using unary minus operator?" "what is
> closure,
> what is continuation and how they differ?" and so on. those are
> basic
> questions, yet i was forced to add those to my interviews.

I sincerely have no idea why you consider this to be basic
knowledge. If we're talking C programmers, the vast majority
won't know what a closure or a continuation is. Maybe the working
environments you've been exposed to are drastically different
from the ones I have. I've been interviewing a ton of candidates
at work recently, and in my experience your expectations are way
off.

People like us that even bother to learn D or be in this forum
are not average programmers. I don't mean that in an elitist
sense, I mean we're weird and expecting the rest of the world to
be like us is, IMHO, silly.

I stay up at night watching programming conference videos. Nobody
else where I work does. Oh, and this is coming from me, a person
who was recently told had too high expectations of what basic C++
knowledge should be only weeks ago.

Atila