Lost a new commercial user this week :(

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 20 12:49:15 PST 2014

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 20:29:34 +0000
Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> > i'm not talking about "excellent" programmes, i'm talking about
> > basic
> > CS knowledge. "why crc32 is bad hashing function?" "how to
> > negate
> > machine integer without using unary minus operator?" "what is
> > closure,
> > what is continuation and how they differ?" and so on. those are
> > basic
> > questions, yet i was forced to add those to my interviews.
>
> I sincerely have no idea why you consider this to be basic
> knowledge. If we're talking C programmers, the vast majority
> won't know what a closure or a continuation is.
so they aren't programmers, they are coders. cheap expendable resource.
yet they somehow believe that they are programmers and wants
programmers' salary. but we aren't rich enough to hire coders as
programmers.

> People like us that even bother to learn D or be in this forum
> are not average programmers. I don't mean that in an elitist
> sense, I mean we're weird and expecting the rest of the world to
> be like us is, IMHO, silly.
yes, there is nothing elitist in knowing the basics. and there is
nothing bad in not knowing the basics too... unless that person doesn't
pretend to know the things. we have some tasks for coders too.