What is the D plan's to become a used language?

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 21 02:39:09 PST 2014

On Sunday, 21 December 2014 at 10:33:09 UTC, Russel Winder via
Digitalmars-d wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-12-21 at 09:30 +0000, Dicebot via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
>> […]
>>
>> This is very definition of hype. Yes, Go is hugely overblown
>> and it has nothing to do with any of its technical features.
>> Only business value Go truly has is simplicity and even that
>> doesn't matter in practice.
>
> Sorry, but wrong and wrong. Go has a model of concurrency and
> parallelism that works very well and no other language has, so
> Go has
> technical merit. Go's simplicity is a huge selling point. C
> programmers failed to move to C++ exactly because C was simple
> and C++
> wasn't. Go provides these followers of simplicity enough new
> stuff to
> move from the over-simple C. So basically Go has achieved what
> D has
> not.

I was referring to "doesn't matter in practice for gaining
popularity" not "doesn't matter in practice for development".

> No programming language gets traction purely on technical
> merit, but bad languages do not gain traction based purely on
> marketing.

This does not match my perspective at all. I see absolutely zero
correlation between technical quality of programming languages
and their resulting market success - it was always about good
marketing, viral effect, catching the niche and so on.

Which is not surprising because most developers out there lack
competence to effectively reason why advantages and disadvantages
of given language for their projects and thus following the hype
becomes only safe strategy.