What is the D plan's to become a used language?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 21 14:02:35 PST 2014

On Sunday, 21 December 2014 at 10:26:45 UTC, Russel Winder via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> to C++14 rather than D. Most C people will move to Go rather
> than C++ or D.

I would not use Go for anything I would consider C for atm, but I
will move some stuff from Python to Go when it is supported on
GAEā€¦

D could find it's own niche in a competing cloud solution, like
Amazon WS, if it was deliberately targeted and thus the most
convenient language on the platform.

Being the most convinient language for a platform is the killer
app par excellence, but you need to be stable, production ready
and focused to do it, which requires planning!

> Perhaps like Haskell, D is doomed to be a language used by few,
> but
> having enormous influence on other languages that are used by
> many.

What language-features are unique to D?

> achieves nothing. Having a reputation for internal angst and a
> bad
> garbage collector achieves huge negative waves. A language 11
> years
> old and still in the same "breaking change" situation as Rust,
> yet
> claiming to be production ready isn't helping.

I think you overestimate how well known D is among the average
programmer. If being old is the problem, then all you need to do
is clean up the syntax and call it D++. However, being old is not
the real issue.

> projects to create a sense of newness. This is the lesson D
> needs to
> take from Go and Rust. Make use of hype rather than just
> complaining about it.

Go has had stable supported releases for many years and supports
doing stuff that other languages either make hard or slow. So Go
is acceptable for commercial uptake even though there are quite a
lot of annoying deliberate minimalistic design flaws that would
otherwise turn me off: like being forced to use capitalized
symbol names, not being able to convert bools into ints, not
having assert, etc. Go is not a great language, but the
developers are doing the right things: Go is stable, supported,
focus and the direction of Go is clearly communicated ahead of
time.