What's missing to make D2 feature complete?

Francesco Cattoglio via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 22 03:06:12 PST 2014

On Saturday, 20 December 2014 at 20:13:31 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
> On Saturday, 20 December 2014 at 17:40:06 UTC, Martin Nowak
> wrote:
>> Just wondering what the general sentiment is.
>>
>> For me it's these 3 points.
>>
>> - tuple support (DIP32, maybe without pattern matching)
>> - working import, protection and visibility rules (DIP22, 313,
>> 314)
>> - finishing non-GC memory management
>
> Unique! and RefCounted! in a usable state.

+1

No RefCounted classes and non-reentrant GC makes it really
awkward to write libraries that handle non-memory resources in a
nice way.
My experience with (old versions of) GFM has been horrible at
times: you have to close() everything by yourself, if you forget
about that sooner or later the GC will collect something, proc a
call to close(), which in turns procs a call to the logger, which
will end up with a InvalidMemoryOperationError.
Not being able to allocate during ~this() can be extremely
annoying for me.