What is the D plan's to become a used language?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 22 05:39:30 PST 2014

On Monday, 22 December 2014 at 10:30:47 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> More importantly: it makes no business sense to invest in an
> open source project that shows clear signs of being mismanaged.
> Create a spec that has business value, manage the project well
> and people with a commercial interest will invest. Why would I
> contribute to the compiler if I see no hope of it ever reaching
> a stable release that is better than the alternatives from a
> commercial perspective?

It is not clear that the core team wants commercial investment,
that's merely my guess of how D might become more polished and
popular.  AFAICT, Andrei and Walter hope to get to a million
users mostly through volunteers, which is a pipe dream if you ask
me, though they don't appear to be against commercial
involvement.  As you say, without presenting a more organized
front, maybe such commercial investment is unlikely.