Do everything in Java…

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 22 09:25:46 PST 2014

On Sunday, 21 December 2014 at 10:00:36 UTC, Russel Winder via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Although the vast majority of Java is used in a basically I/O
> bound
> context, there is knowledge of and desire to improve Java in a
> CPU-
> bound context. The goal here is to always be as fast as C and
> C++ for
> all CPU-bound codes. A lot of people are already seeing Java
> being
> faster than C and C++, but they have to use primitive types to
> achieve
> this. With the shift to internal iteration and new JITS, the
> aim is to
> achieve even better but using reference types in the code.

That is quite a claim. If it is true in some context, and I'd go
as far as to say that vanilla code in C/C++ tend to be slower
than the vanilla version in java, ultimately, C and C++ offer
more flexibility, which mean that if you are willing to spend the
time to optimize, Java won't be as fast. Generally, the killer is
memory layout, which allow to fit more in cache, and be faster.
Java is addicted to indirections.